Currently our youngest son is graduating from college (May 4th!!!!) and he is looking to be a “real” adult, which …
Over the last eleven years I have been very diligent about caring for my skin. I’m nearly 44 years old …
I remember hearing about this diet a few years back. But recently I overheard a conversation about a “diet” regarding …
Exercise can be the single most important thing that we do for our bodies, minds and overall health. Here are …
I was so surprised to see gingham and buffalo check lasting past Christmas… I love the pattern and think It’s …
We hear the word thrown around everywhere, lifestyle. It is the new IT phrase and it seems to be the …
With all of the information that is so easily available to us via the internet today, it is easy to get confused about what it means to “live healthy”. An article from Elite Daily is helping me to learn to prioritize what it means to “live a healthy lifestyle“.
- Eat mostly unprocessed foods. Your diet should consist of vegetables, fruit, lean meats like chicken and ground turkey, and grains. Avoid processed foods altogether, and you’ll be better off. Buy organic when possible but obviously, eat as healthy as you can afford!
- Walk when possible. If it’s within walking distance, walk. Take the stairs! Take the dog for a walk. Walk!
- Drink less often. As a society we spend way too much on alcohol. Some will argue it’s benefits and in moderation, a case may be made for consuming alcohol. But overall, it should be limited, your health and your wallet will thank you!
- Bring your lunch to work. I never leave for work without my own lunch, it’s my Golden Rule. I am not tempted that way by unhealthy choices and my pocketbook thanks me!
- Take vacations or just get away. This is so important! Go see the ocean or a mountain! Go to a lake. It doesn’t have to be extravagant, just take some time away with family, friends or even just a solo trip but experience the world, even if it’s just outside your back door! Take a mental health day!
- When possible remove the negativity. You become what is around you. Get rid of any negativity in your life or at least limit yourself to it. Stay positive! Amen!
- End toxic relationships and friendships. We all know them and have probably experienced them. If you’re one of them, find a way to change your mindset! Life is what you make it! We get one go-round, let’s make it amazing!
- Take time away from technology. Ah yes, technology. It is necessary and moves us forward and yet, remember back to when you were a kid? I know that as children, we were never in the house. And the most technology we could afford was a TV with Scooby Doo and that got old after a while. So we found ourselves outside almost all the time. This is a different time but encourage your kids, and YOU to get off the tech stuff and go outside and really appreciate the beauty and freedom to roam where ever we like in the outdoors!
- Participate in physical activities. Bike. Walk. Swim. Dance. Ski. Run. Yoga (my new fave exercise). Whatever sounds good, just DO IT! MOVE your body!
- Read more! It stimulates the brain. Period.
- Find a (new) hobby. Having interests outside of family and work will make you feel more fulfilled. Start a blog 😉 Decorate your den! Paint a picture. Knit a sweater. Find something to keep your mind always moving forward.
- Please do NOT care about what other people think. You are enough! Honestly, enough said.
I know, all of that sounds easy right?! But we know it’s not. Life just happens and it seems to happen very fast! And we seem to have NO time for HEALTHY.
- My favorite quote from the movie The Switch is by Jason Bateman (one of my fave’s ever!): “Look at us, running around. Always rushed, always late. I guess that’s why they call it the human race.”
After I found this article I started to realize that I wasn’t truly embracing a “healthy lifestyle”. I was only taking pieces of it (diet, exercise) and trying to make it work a a whole (peaceful mindset, living wholly). Impossible to do that without embracing the BIG picture! And so I am trying to live healthy in all aspects of my life. I am trying to slow down and embrace being healthy. We are in a new time and we are truly in a revolution, a health revolution. And with just a little more conscious effort, we will turn the tide to health vs “unhealth”.
Don’t be overwhelmed.
Just do one little thing each day or each week to start living a healthy LIFESTYLE. It is our time of wellness!